Bourgeois Deviant

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Being Surveyed

This morning I was taking a survey for Idealist.org. It is one of the sights that I have been using on my job search. During this survey, I came across a question that I'd never encountered before. I am taking it as a sign of the times that things are ever evolving.

The question was:

25. How do you identify yourself?
a. Heterosexual
b. Gay
c. Transgender
d. Inter-sex
e. self described _______________

I get a. through c. I've seen that before. This is the first time I have ever seen the options "Inter-sex" or self described. While I have heard the former before, its never been an option on a survey let alone how anyone has described anyone that I've ever encountered in conversation. But, at the end of the day, I am all for inclusion.

Just in case you haven't a clue what I am talking about, ye olde Wikipedia has this listed as definition:
Intersexuality is the state of a person whose sex chromosomes, genitalia and/or secondary sex characteristics are determined to be neither exclusively male nor female. A person with intersex may have biological characteristics of both the male and female sexes. A medical definition of intersexuality is "conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female. Applying this ... precise definition, the true prevalence of intersex is seen to be about 0.018%.[1]

Applying this approximation to the population of the U.S. yields about 54,000 intersex people.
And as for a possible answer being self description... Does that give Furries/Plushies their own category?

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home