Bourgeois Deviant

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Big Apple to Big Easy

I write this to you, dear reader, from the Brooklyn bound R train to Bay Ridge. I just left the “From the Big Apple to the Big Easy” concert from New Orleans. It was quite something. Presumably, Sir Elton John and others helped to assemble a cavalcade of performers. Among those I saw: Lenny Kravits, Aaron Neville, Cindy Lauper, Paul Simon, Jimmy Buffett, Sir Elton and a bunch of others. The zenith of the evening, not for her performance, mind you, but for what she had to share by way of thought over the whole Katrina calamity was Bette Midler.

Yes. Bette Midler.

Ms. Midler cited the tragedy of it all and that global warming was a likely culprit. I will attempt an accurate quote here for the rest: “Then, I get a letter from the Republican Party saying that they appreciated my support of the Bush Administration during this trying time. And I wrote them back telling them to go fuck themselves.” She went on to bring the President Bushbot. It was not until she brought him up that the boos started emanating from the audience. She continued to (justifiably) chastise the Commander and thief and then acquiesced. “You know, I really shouldn’t say bad things about the President. He is a fan of mine. He came to one of my shows in the 70’s. I think his coke dealer got him the tickets.”

Bette Midler lambasting the President isn’t news and really, at the end of the day, doesn’t matter. What will matter is if some Republican shmuck sues her for libel and slander and/or defamation of character. Time will tell.

The most eloquent thing said this evening was by Mr. Elvis Costello. “Lets make sure the promises made, are kept.” Well put, Elvis, well put indeed.

(If anyone has the exact quote, please let me know so I can edit this.)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home