Bourgeois Deviant

Monday, April 24, 2006

Is It Just Me?

Is it just me or do these stats sound surreal and criminal?

Studies show Americans spend more time than ever commuting and for a growing number, getting to work takes more than an hour. In the most recent U.S. Census Bureau study, 2.8 million people have so-called extreme commutes, topping 90 minutes.[Reuters : DDA]

Moving away from work to get better schools for your kids is something I can sort of understand. But just moving out to the boonies because you want a fucking big house for the sake of having a fucking big house is oxymoronic. I work with a woman whose commute is nearly two hours each way (Effort, PA to NY, NY). Aside from the weekends, how can you enjoy where you live? How much time is wasted commuting? It boggles my mind.

I have a roughly 30 minute commute by NY subway and I think it is on the longish side. What in the hell are these people thinking?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Just to play devil's advocate think of it this way. You and I both grew up in the 'burbs and had the big house and the nice schools. Most people that are doing these extreme commutes are hoping to give their kids the same advantages we grew up with but have lived in the city or a city setting most of their lives. They are willing to "go the extra mile" so their kids can have a life outside the city. Now, I'm not saying I would volunteer for a commute over an hour, nor would I want to, but another perspective.
    -Mrs. B.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, April 24, 2006 4:52:00 PM  

  • Devil's advocate indeed. Truly my better half...

    By Blogger Bourgeois Deviant, at Monday, April 24, 2006 4:55:00 PM  

  • I concur with Ms. B.D. Mostly cause she's got hella smarts and more letters behind her name than me. But also because I am working with inner city kids right now. I've got 6th graders explaining the gang grafitti outside of my building. If my twelve year old could identify a gang tag, the commute would seem like the least of my advantages.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, April 28, 2006 6:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home