Bourgeois Deviant

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mrs. Deviant writes the Postmaster

Dear Postmaster,

I feel that is important to notify you that the standard of service for mail delivery under your supervision is declining. Normally, I would not take the time to bother you with this except that it is not the first time this issue has occurred. Also, at the time of my writing this letter and the day of the particular event, I am nine months pregnant, thus making this matter which I am reporting particularly bothersome.

On Monday, July 3, 2006 at approximately 12:30 p.m. my apartment was rung up by an employee of the United States Postal Service to deliver a package. I buzzed the person in and assumed that they would be bringing it up to my 4th floor apartment. After waiting a while, I came to assume that the delivery person had, on a particularly hot day, decided to leave the package by my mailbox on the first floor of the building. As you might glean, this was not the case.

Being nine months pregnant as I am, you might well imagine that four flights of stairs are no easy task. With that in mind, you might also assume that a person in my stage of pregnancy might try to avoid (and with good reason) making repeated trips up and down those stairs. Especially in the summer heat. Later in the day, laundry required me to go to the basement of the building to retrieve my clothes. I had counted on being able to combine tasks on this trip and retrieve what I thought would be a delivered package additional to my laundry. As I am sure is abundantly clear to you by now, I was sorely mistaken.

Looking at my mailbox, I found no package, but a delivery slip that gave notice an attempt was made (copy enclosed) and that a signature was required for release of the package. As this was not the first time for something like this to happen, I was quite dismayed. My disappointment does not come from anything but for the fact that I saw the person as I let them into the building via closed circuit television. They appeared able bodied and unencumbered by large, heavy or otherwise unwieldy packages. I don't fault the carrier for not knowing of my present physical duress. I fault them for not advising me that a signature was required when I admitted them to the building. Frankly, I find it is lazy. It certainly doesn't speak well for the quality of service that people should associate with the USPS.

I hope that this circumstance does not occur again. But, as I am still with child for at least a few more weeks, I fear it may. In the future, I shall try to be more diligent when admitting employees of the Postal Service into my apartment building. I will make sure that they are aware that they will need to actually bring the package up to me as I am in the end process of gestating a child. I should hope that henceforward you, your staff and other employees will be comparably diligent and make better efforts in providing a higher standard of customer service.

If I am in error in my perception of this or am mistaken about the terms of service that the USPS provides, kindly inform me as such. However, should similar events continue to happen despite someone being on the premises to sign for signature required parcels, I will be more than happy to solicit the services of other more reliable couriers with better customer service.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Bourgeois Deviant
Brooklyn, NY

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home